Friday, October 21, 2005

Flock

I am posting this using Flock's blogging tool. Flock is a new Mozilla-based browser that integrates "Web 2.0"-functionality directly into its user interface. I love the idea. I've been ranting offline and online about this for a while - I love the ability to switch from this dreadful traditional Hierarchical Favorites into the wonderful world of Tagged Favorites, which is a much better fit for the way that I personally think and organize stuff (hint: I don't). But I hate having to do it using Bookmarklets (at best)-based user interfaces, which are clunky, slow, and force me to lose context whenever I want to interact with the tagging subsystem.

They integrate directly with del.icio.us, Flickr, and several blogging sites (they're planning a plug-in interface, which will allow integration with the other tagging, blogging and sharing out there).

Before Flock, the only one that seemed to get this was Outfoxed, which still seems to have the slickest, most streamlined user interface for this. I like their "Green Thumbup / Red Thumbdown" approach. There is something to be said for simplicity. But Flock is attacking the bigger problem.

So, at least for the next few days, I will be giving iexplorer.exe some well deserved rest and will be trying Flock instead.


No comments: